Jul 15, 2009

I am afraid of bears

I am afraid of bears. I’ll admit it. The only type of bears that do not give me an icy cold tingling sensation and deep in the gut fear when I think about them are teddy bears and Yogi bear. I am sure my fear is irrational. I have read that the chances coming face to face with a bear are low.

My fear of bears started, oddly enough, while I waited to get a hair cut. The hairdresser provided magazines for customers to read and on that fateful day, I decided to read an outdoor magazine that had an article on humans being attached by bears. The article was graphic and included first hand accounts from those who had witnessed or experienced a bear attack. Reading it sent chills down my spine and from that day forward I have been afraid.

I felt the need to announce my fear for you because I just came across a news release from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission discussing Florida black bears. Yes, we have bears in Florida. No, I have never seen one. I have listed and sold property in Lake County where the owners of the property said they have seen bears roaming around. I made sure I never showed those properties alone and I always made a lot of noise whenever I had to visit the house alone thinking the noise would keep the bears away.

The news release told of a Lee County, Florida woman who encountered a bear while at work. The report says the bear bumped into her! Either instinctively or because she knew the proper actions to take when face to face with a bear, this woman was able to get away safely. According to a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer if you meet up with a bear, you should; “Remain standing straight up; back up slowly; speak in a calm, assertive voice; do not run or play dead; and leave the bear a clear escape route.” Florida residents are also encouraged to; “remove or secure anything that might attract animals, such as garbage cans, pet food, birdseed, outdoor grills and compost bins’ in order to reduce the chances of meeting up with a bear.

I think those are great suggestions and will be sure to make sure my 6’4” frame is standing straight up if I ever meet a bear, provided I have not passed out.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission News Release

No comments: