Oct 20, 2005

Realtor.com survey

I just finished a survey that was emailed to me on behalf of Realtor.com. The questions centered around online marketing and lead generating programs. I came away after finishing it with the feeling that Realtor.com may be looking to offer something similar to the Lending Trees & Homegains of the online world to Realtors. Pay for leads. I've never used Realtor.com for any listing advertising more than the 1 free picture ad all Realtors receive free for being members. I cannot recall the price for increased exposure, but my feelings are that it is quite high.

I do think Realtors should be the first avenue of lead collecting. It is our business after all. I preach at sales meetings the importance of our associates obtaining an online presence. However, much to the delight of the commercial online lead generating companies, Realtors seem to spend more money and energy learning about and buying the newest cell phone with more bells and whistles that they need than they ever do developing a solid, customer oriented online presence.. When asked about their personal websites, the responses range from "don't have one" or "mine never brings me any business".

I'm not going to pay for leads. It does not matter who is selling them. I'm going to continue to develop sites that are customer oriented, provides valuable and current information and the leads will come. If you search Deland real estate, you will find me and not some major commercial lead generating company, I like to think that is what the customer expects from their online search results. A local Realtor to assist them immediately.


Related Florida real estate views:

Imagine an entire real estate office blogging

The future of real estate advertisement

Is there a difference between buying an airline ticket and a home online?


- Greg Staker Watson Realty Corp. 407-304-0255

No comments: